Welcome to the Bornscheuer
Our major research target is the development
of tailor-made biocatalysts suitable for industrial applications.
Please enjoy to explore our web-site to get a more detailed description of
the group, its projects,
publications and other information. To see our fancy robotic platform, see here.
Our internal wiki-platform can be found here.
Overview of research activities:
- Identification of new biocatalysts by
screening, e.g. from strain collections
- In silico discovery of novel enzymes
- Cloning and functional expression in suitable
- Creation of tailor-made enzymes using directed
(molecular) evolution and rational protein design
- Commercial enzymes
- Development of High-Throughput-Systems
for directed evolution
- Development & application of bioinformatic tools
- Cloning, expression, purification, characterization
- Chemical syntheses
- Chiral analysis (e.g. via gas chromatography
- Process development (e.g. continuous enzymatic
(since Nov. 2011)
- Baeyer-Villiger Monooxygenases
- Synthesis of optically pure compounds,
e.g. for pharmaceutical applications
- Modification of fats and oils, e.g. structured
- Synthesis of detergents, e.g. sugar esters
- Development of enzyme cascade reactions
- Investigation of novel reaction systems such as SpinChem
We have just published a research article in the journal "Nature Chem."
Michael Fibinger (#50 !) has just finished his PhD!
Uwe Bornscheuer has published a "Perspectives" contribution in the journal "Science"
Uwe Bornscheuer has published a "News&Views" article in the journal "Nature Chem. Biol."
Uwe Bornscheuer has published his 25th contribution (an Editorial) in the top chemistry journal "Angew. Chem. Int. Ed."
Uwe Bornscheuer has received the "Stephen S. Chang Award" of the Am. Oil. Chem. Soc. (AOCS).
Our paper on the discovery of (R)-selective amine transaminases has been highlighted as "Best Design Concept" by Nat. Chem. Biol.
An author profile about Uwe Bornscheuer has been published in Angew. Chem. Int. Ed.
Institute of Biochemistry
Dept. of Biotechnology & Enzyme Catalysis
D-17487 Greifswald/ Germany
+49 (0)3834-86-4391 (Secr.)