Welcome to the Bornscheuer
Our major research target is the development
of tailor-made biocatalysts suitable for industrial applications.
Please enjoy to explore our web-site to get a more detailed description of
the group, its projects,
publications and other information.
Our internal wiki-platform can be found here.
Overview of research activities:
- Identification of new biocatalysts by
screening, e.g. from strain collections
- In silico discovery of novel enzymes
- Cloning and functional expression in suitable
- Creation of tailor-made enzymes using directed
(molecular) evolution and rational protein design
- Commercial enzymes
- Development of High-Throughput-Systems
for directed evolution
- Development & application of bioinformatic tools
- Cloning, expression, purification, characterization
- Chemical syntheses
- Chiral analysis (e.g. via gas chromatography
- Process development (e.g. continuous enzymatic
(since Nov. 2011)
- Baeyer-Villiger Monooxygenases
- Synthesis of optically pure compounds,
e.g. for pharmaceutical applications
- Modification of fats and oils, e.g. structured
- Synthesis of detergents, e.g. sugar esters
Interview with Uwe Bornscheuer published at ChemistryView
Two new books published!
Biocatalysts & Enzyme Technology, 2nd edition, Wiley-VCH.
Protein Engineering Handbook (Vol. 3) Wiley-VCH.
We published a review "Engineering the third wave in biocatalysis" in Nature!
Uwe Bornscheuer has received the "Chevreul-Medal" of the French Society for Lipid Research (SFEL).
Three former PhD students are now Junior-Professor:
Anett Schallmey (Aachen)
Robert Kourist (Bochum)
Matthias Höhne (Greifswald)
An author profile about Uwe Bornscheuer has been published in Angew. Chem. Int. Ed.
Partner in the
'White Biotechnology' cluster 'Biokatalyse2021'
funded by the BMBF.
Institute of Biochemistry
Dept. of Biotechnology & Enzyme Catalysis
D-17487 Greifswald/ Germany
+49 (0)3834-86-4391 (Secr.)